Sunday, August 17, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

Today is my birthday! Today I am feeling grateful for all of the wonderful birthdays I had as a child growing up. I have fond memories of my mom and dad and family doing everything they could to make my day very special. I didn't have lavish parties and the celebrations usually included my mom, dad, brother and grandparents. But those small celebrations were grand to me. I remember that my mom used to wrap everything in individual boxes to make it seem to me that I got tons of things. She probably could have put everything in one box or gift bag and called it a day. But she wanted me to unwrap as many things as possible. As I got older, I had many friends who used to take me out for a night on the town and that was such a great memory.
As the years past I got married and had children. My grandparents and dad have past on, my brother has his own family and friends have drifted apart. My mom still does everything she can to make my day special. Sometimes we go out to lunch. But the pile of gifts has been reduced a gift card inside a birthday card. Today I am grateful for my wonderful husband who right now is out with my daughter scurring around town gathering things for another small family celebration. I am happy that my older son has cleaned his room that he shares with his younger brother. I am happy that my middle son has so far chosen to spend the day at home rather than out with friends. My mother-in-law is returning home today from her visit with her daughter in Virginia. My mom will come over later. I am grateful for a small barbeque(because that is all that my husband can cook- in fact he is quite good at it) and cake and a nice fire going in the firepit. I don't need lavish parties and piles of gifts! I am grateful for the love that surrounds me today. The greatest gift is all of the things that my family is doing for me to try to make my day special.
So, today's affirmation is quite appropriate for today. It reads "My future is glorious. I now live in limitless love, light, and joy. All is well in my world." Today is first day of my new birth year and it will be my best year yet. I look forward to all the wonderful experiences that will come to me this year!

7 comments:

Rev. Julieanne Paige, O.M.C. said...

Happy Birthday!

My Mum does the same with presents and wraps them all up separately. I live overseas now and every couple of moths I receive a huge parcel from her with heaps of little things in there. It does take you back to your childhood... but I am certainly not complaining.

Hope you had a great day!

Julieanne

Joie Mayfield said...

Well, Happy Birthday!! Your warm take on everything is definitely contagious. I'm coming out of a break-up, and my birthday is next Monday, so it's going to be rough. However, you've reminded me to remember that people do love me. Thank you. :) Great blog. I actually posted a part one of my birthday...um...posts, lol.

Joie
http://somuchtodealwith.blogspot.com

LITeacher said...

I'm glad you like the blog. It makes me feel good that you got something out of it. Anytimne that I'm feeling down about something, the love of my family always helps to get me through it. Surround yourself with those who care about you next Monday and you will have a great birthday despite your break-up. I'll be visiting your blog and I hope that you come back and visit me on mine. I welcome your comments. Have a great birthday next week!

Suzi said...

Happy Birthday...it was funny to have just read this because tonight we celebrated my husbands birthday. Every Sunday we have a big Sunday dinner with family and friends and we have a tradition that when it is someone’s birthday we go around the table and each person gives the birthday person a special wish…so to share that tradition with you I would like to give you a birthday wish...
My birthday wish for you is core knowledge and acceptance - the knowledge that all the wonders you desire are within your grasp ….the knowledge that you are capable of attaining them…. the knowledge that you are worthy of receiving them and the acceptance to humbly receive them. Happy Birthday!
Peace, Suzi

ps...love your blog!
www.BringPeaceNotPain.blogspot.com

LITeacher said...

Hi Suzi
Thank you so much for your good wishes. That was a nice ending to a wonderfully relaxing birthday.
I look forward to reading more on your blog. I'm glad you like my blog! All the positive commments inspire me to keep writing.
Happy Birthday to your husband!

Bonnie said...

Happy Birthday!!!

My favorite birthday memory was my sophomore year in high school. I had seven of my closest girlfriends over and we stayed up the entire night. We got slap-happy around 4 a.m. and madness ensued. We ran around my neighborhood and briefly considered streaking. (I don't know why.)

Another memory was my junior year in high school. I spent the night at my friend's house. We chugged 7 energy drinks each and stayed up almost all night. The next morning we had to work at my high school's craft fair. We went on one hour of sleep and almost died. It was awesome.

Have a great day!

LITeacher said...

A Beautiful Contradiction,
Those were great memories of past birthdays. Sounds like you had some great times with your friends. Thanks for the comments. I hope you will come back and read some more.

Maureen :)